Saturday, September 5, 2009

Speak My Language

Today I went to Home Depot and I was so confused by what I saw in the parking lot.

Have you ever been in the store and you hear someone yelling at their children and you have to use everything you have not to step in a teach someone else what not to do to their children? Well, I understand. I felt like that today. See there was this woman in the parking lot and she was yelling at her DOG! I was in a state of disbelief. I could not believe what I saw! She was YELLING and saying full sentences and was all out of control. And my poor kind... he was just standing there looking at her with the dumbfounded expression. (Which I understood) and all it did was make her mad.

Mom and I both wanted to jump in but you know how those things escalate. So we went inside and when we came out the people were gone but we saw the car parked over by Jack in the Box so, figuring they were inside, we left a note on the window that simple said, "Dog is Good" (We have that sticker on our truck)

I guess the moral of my story or the lesson I wanted to share with you humans is, speak my language. I mean seriously, I wasn't there 3 minutes earlier and I don't know who was wrong, the dog, the person or both. But I do know that dog did not understand a things she said.

First of all I do not understand sentences. Tell me to "sit" "stay" or "stop" but don't give me some human explanation and expect me to understand.

Second, remember it is consistency. If you didn't teach it to me before and then again last week and then again yesterday don't expect me to remember it from 6 months ago. I need consistency in my life.

Third, Don't yell at me! How would you like it if I barked in your face everyday? I can understand you better when you use a normal intensity.

Fourth, I understand pitch and tone so learn to change your tone "Good Dog" "Bad" "No" I am much more alert to tone then I am to loudness.

Five, If you are having such a bad day. Leave me at home, I don't need that kind of energy! :-)

I feel I should have said more there but maybe it will do more good here? I love you but I am dog and I will do things my way that will not fit into your world. We need to work together. I see so many people treating us like people, If you find a canine that needs help he can do better too. Just Speak His Language!

Emma Zen

No comments:

Post a Comment