Thursday, October 1, 2009

Midnight Ramble



Take into consideration my behavioral patterns and then work around them to suit your human needs.

See I have a friend whose dog gets up in the middle of the night and eats things, like the couch! But she doesn't think about him when she goes to sleep. She keeps him on a short leash all day and then when she sees me nodded out, she goes to bed herself. Three hours later he's up and having sofa snack. People, you can watch me in the day time but your proverbial short leash on me at night, if these are your issues, consider the behavioral patterns.

Considered the nature, cats are nocturnal. My sister Sam, a Siamese, is up all hours of the night cruising the house, batting her stuff mouse around, eating cat food and being mouthy. Now you wouldn't expect this furry bundle of joy to sleep all night would you?

I am a good dog. I do not eat anything that isn't mine. I do not play with my humans things. I take myself outside to potty. I am a good dog. But I am also a Lucky Dog! You see my human Dad has worked a lot a night during his life, so his nature is to be up at all hours. So in my house, me, Dad and Sam do this little thing we like to call, The Midnight Ramble! We all sneak out of the bedroom and go into the living room together and we play indoor games and we all get belly rubs and we have cheese snacks and watch TV together. DON"T TELL MOM, but one time we were all on the same couch! We all get it out of our system and we all go back to bed where we will find Mom sound asleep.

So if it is your animals nature or behavior to be a night owl, wake up with, or provide for or set boundaries during those hours. Don't wake up and yell at him just because he eat the couch. You sort of let him, by doing nothing. I guess I am feeling sorry for my friend who eat the couch. He was just being himself. We are not perfect or human and you must be guiding us every minute if you want a perfect dog, even the minutes you are asleep.

Not everyone is lucky enough to Ramble!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Emma, you know that I don't have a dog but this is something that I never thought of...

    I think it is awesome that your parents love you (and all fur and shell children) soooo much! =D

    ReplyDelete