Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Emergency Exit

This morning on KTLA 5 news in LA I heard a story about a woman in a building that was on fire. She took her Grandfather and her dog and went "looking" for the emergency exit. Looking for it! How many times have you seen this sign?
We walk by them, we sort of glance, we may even look in the direction of the arrow. But were all so busy assumping that 3 minutes it takes to actually follow the path my somehow interrupt our plans. When is the last time you studied the exit plan on the back of your hotel room door?
I stayed in a hotel last year with someone who was an flight attendance for years. We go into our jammies, watched tv, surfed our phone and said goodnight. 2 seconds later she was out the door? I must have had a strange look on my face because upon her return she said, "so you've never bunked with a flight attendant have you?" They are trained and her training kicks in everywhere she goes. She went outside to "feel" the doors. I never thought about this, if there was a fire could you get there with your eyes closed? She knew it was down the hall to the right and then down the stairs but she needed to know how many doorways she would feel before the stairway would appear!
Then today another twist as I listened to the segment being presented on the news channel this lady not only was having trouble finding the exit but once she got there she found out it was locked! I don't know about you but this now brings up a whole new line of questioning I plan on asking. It takes being present that is all. The time it takes to review an exit an honest look or walk down a corridor. I am not as obsess with safety as one may think, considering we run a pet safety organization but I am "aware and present!" I walk into a new room or hotel and look at my surrounds, where would I go in case of an earthquake, fire or other emergency? Then I proceed to enjoy my time just as you would. It doesn't take minutes away from my day if anything it adds to my enjoyment at that time. That's what safety is peace of mind!

No comments:

Post a Comment