Sunday, August 30, 2009

Hot Dog

Boy this weekend has been tough for a biker dog. The temperatures soared so high and the air quality was bad because of some local fires. Of course the best thing to do was what I did today, NOTHING... I laid around in the air conditioned house a slept. But yesterday I was out in the mix with it. I was on a ride and we had no choice but to come home in the heat. My human has some great tips for dogs out there in the sunshine.
  • Be prepared - Make sure you think "dog first" and pack their bags accordingly
  • Doggie Sunscreen - Yes they make such a thing and just because I am covered in fur doesn't mean I am not going to burn... Cover ears, noses, and doggie boobies. (for when we sit)
  • Hydration - Mix pedilite in our water. It is made to kept human babies from dehydration and it works on us canines too.
  • Anatomy - Dogs cool through their paws and they have a blood vesel that runs under their armpits. Cool these areas first with a damp cloth. It works better then pouring water over us.
  • Cover - If your a dark color, put on a white t-shirt just make sure the airpit area is loose. And put us in the shade whenever possible

I know there are many more tips but these are specific areas humans need to concentrate on if your a biker dog. And it's a good thing my human knew this or this weekend would have been aweful.

No comments:

Post a Comment